Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Glasses, Microwaves and Babies

Glasses: Thomas has to get them. He is farsighted, which is new to me since everyone I know in my family is nearsighted. He is so excited about them. The doctor feels like if he wears them at all times in the classroom and while reading or drawing, his vision will correct itself and he won't have to always wear glasses. When we were picking out the frames yesterday he put on a few and didn't like them and then.... he found THE ONES! He looks so grown up and handsome. He wanted to leave the eye doctor with them but he has to wait 5 to 10 business days. He is so excited!!! When we got home from the doctor I told Thomas it was time to do his homework. He gets it out and starts. I walk past him and he nearly has his head on the paper. I asked him why he was so close to his paper and his answer - I can't see my paper. I told him that his eyes weren't that bad and that he had been doing his work this long without glasses and that he could make it till his glasses were ready. Then it hit me - DUH!!!!! His eyes were still dilated!!! I had him stop doing his work and let his eyes get back to normal. I felt so small and so silly for getting on to Thomas. I told him I was sorry and he said that it was ok. Then I explained to him why he couldn't see. He thought it was pretty cool but he said that the lights were still bothering him. So we turned some lights off so that he could see. Poor little guy.

Microwaves! Jacob knows how to work them. How do I know this you might ask? Well I found out about his microwave knowledge at 1:30 am this morning. Now you ask - Why was Jacob up at 1:30 am. Well he seems to have his Mamas need for a drink in the middle of the night and gets up and gets his drink out of the fridge. I used to lock the fridge when I would go to bed but then he would just come wake me up and ask me to get him a drink. So I figured if he can get his own drink and put himself back to bed without my help - so be it! Yes I still wake up when he gets into the fridge but I don't get out of bed, unless he asks for my help. So now you know a little bit of history about Jacob and his middle of night drinks this leads me to last night. I wake up when I hear the fridge opening. I lay there thinking 'OK Jacob is getting a drink and going back to bed.' Then I hear the microwave door shut, then the microwave beeps(I'm thinking he is just playing with the buttons no big deal right) then the microwave starts. I jump up out of bed and hit the floor running. I come around the corner just as the microwave beeps that it is done and there stands Jacob at his bedroom door, smiling. I opened the microwave and what do I find - an apple pie from McDonald's. I look at Jacob and his answer - 'I found it!' Well of course you found it, it was in the fridge where you just were. I took the apple pie out of the microwave and put it back in the box and then back into the fridge. I then put Jacob back into bed and all he could keep saying was 'I found it.' Eric was up by this time and wanted to know what was going on so I then had to replay the whole story to him, remember it is 1:30 in the morning. I guess when you are 2 almost 3 and you get hungry in the middle of the night and Mama leaves a yummy looking apple pie within your reach you get yourself a snack! Oh what am I gonna do with this boy!

Babies!!!! My neighbor had her baby this past Saturday. She is the most precious little thing I have ever seen. She was only 4#14oz. Mom and baby are doing great. They got to come home today. I went over and checked on them and they are both just tired. Baby is eating great and mom is starting to move around better, emergency C-Section, and still a tad bit sore. Please keep them in your prayers. Nana is going to stay with them for the next few nights to help Mom, Baby and Big Brother adjust and get used to being home. Dad will be home in about 3 weeks, works in Africa.

So there is an update of what has been going on around here. Have a great day!

PS - Only 3 more days till Spring Break!!! Why am I so happy to be at home with 2 boys for a week? Because Eric is taking that week off and we are going to have some much needed family time! Yea!!!!

3 comments:

Me said...

Okay, so I tried to box it up and it just kept melting....that's why you got some this morning...You didn't see us but we were standing on the room shaking fake snow down on you! :) Hee, hee. Enjoy

Jen said...

Wow, that is a teensy baby!!! I can not imagine someone that small!!!

Too funny about the glasses, I had a cousin like that, she hated wearing hers, but did outgrow it, doesn;t need them anymore!!!

Lara said...

Caleb has exactly the same issue with his eyes - except we found out when he was 5. The doctor said the same thing that he may not need them forever.

I'll bet he looks like a prince!